Medium is a great platform to share your stories with an ever-growing audience of readers. However, as a total beginner, it can be daunting as to how you can create your first Medium stories.
The 5 steps to create a story on Medium are:
- Create an account
- Write your story
- Check your settings
- Publish your story
- Share your story
Below, we’ll go into more detail about each of the steps to create stories on Medium, while also answering some questions about using the platform. We’ll then go through some top formatting tips to make your Medium stories stand out from the rest!
Who Can Write Stories On Medium?
Medium is open to anyone who wants to write, regardless of experience level or background. Whether you’re a seasoned author or just starting out, Medium provides a platform for you to share your stories and connect with readers from around the world.
If you have an idea for a story and a passion for writing, then you have all the qualifications you need to start writing on Medium! The platform is designed to be accessible and user-friendly, so you don’t need any special technical skills or experience to get started. All you need is an internet connection and a device, such as a computer or smartphone, and you’re ready to start writing and sharing your stories on Medium.
It’s worth noting that you must be at least 13 years old to use the Medium platform.
Is It Free To Write Stories On Medium?
It is free to write and publish stories on Medium. The platform does not charge any fees for creating an account (as a writer) or publishing stories. Additionally, readers do not have to pay to access stories on Medium, but they’ll be limited to 3 free stories per month.
This makes Medium an accessible and affordable option for writers and storytellers who want to share their work with a global audience. Medium also offers the option to join the Medium Partner Program. This program allows writers to earn money for their writing by placing some (or all) of their stories behind a paywall. This can be a good option for writers who are looking to earn money from their writing, although how much you can earn varies a lot.
5 Steps To Publish A Story On Medium
1. Create An Account
If you don’t already have an account on Medium, you’ll need to create one. You can do this by visiting the Medium website.
2. Write Your Story
Once you have an account, you can start writing stories. Medium has a simple and user-friendly interface that makes it easy to write and format your story. You can use the editing tools to add text, images, and other media to your story.
On desktop, you can write a story by clicking on your profile and then clicking “Write A Story” and on mobile you can tap the big green plus button down the bottom right corner.
The first step to producing a successful article is to write a great title, and you can use my 250+ article title ideas as a starting point!
3. Check Your Settings
Before publishing your story, it’s a good idea to double check some of the extra settings to boost your story’s visibility. You can click on the “More settings” option to tweak some SEO options like the title and meta description, and add tags to the story.
4. Publish Your Story
When you’re ready to publish your story, click on the “Publish” button. Your story will be live and available for readers to access. You can also choose to submit it to a publication, or schedule it to publish at a later date and time.
5. Share Your Story
After you publish your story, you can share it with your followers on Medium and on social media to help increase its visibility and reach a wider audience.
Medium Story Formatting Tips
Formatting is an important aspect of writing on Medium, as it helps to make your story more readable and engaging for your audience. Here are some tips to help you format your story properly on Medium.
Use Headings & Subheadings
Breaking your story into sections using headings and subheadings makes it easier for readers to follow along and understand the structure of your story. You can easily use big and small headings by selecting some text and Medium’s formatting menu will appear.
Keep It Short & Sweet
On Medium, it’s best to keep your paragraphs short and to the point. This makes it easier for readers to quickly digest the information you’re presenting. There’s no hard limit, but 1-3 short sentences per paragraph is ideal.
Use Images & Other Media
Adding images and other media to your story can help to break up the text and make it more visually appealing. It can also help to illustrate your points and make your story more engaging.
You can add free images from Unsplash within the Medium editor itself, making it super easy to add some pictures.
Use Lists & Bullet Points
Using lists and bullet points can help to simplify complex information and make it easier for readers to understand. Again, this is easy with Medium’s built-in editor.
Highlight Important Information
Medium also allows you to highlight text to draw attention to important information. This can be useful for emphasizing key points or quotes.
By following these formatting tips, you can help to make your story on Medium more readable and engaging for your audience!
How To Add Images & Other Media To Medium Stories
Images and other media can help to bring your story to life and make it more engaging for your readers. Here’s how you can add images and other media to your Medium stories:
- Upload images: You can upload images to Medium by clicking on the “Add Image” button in the editor, or by adding free stock images them via the Unsplash option in the formatting bar when you take a new line. You can choose to upload an image from your device, or you can paste a URL to an image hosted on another website.
- Add captions: Adding captions to your images can help to provide context and make your story more informative. You can add captions by clicking on the image and then clicking on the “Caption” button.
- Embed videos: You can also embed videos in your Medium story by pasting the video’s URL into the editor. Medium supports videos from YouTube, Vimeo, and other popular video platforms.
- Include links: Including links in your story can help to provide additional information and resources for your readers. You can add links by highlighting the text you want to link and then clicking on the “Link” button in the editor. Medium will usually automatically create a nice box with the link’s featured image too.
How To Add Tags & Meta Data To Medium Stories
Tags and meta data are important for optimizing your story on Medium and making it easier for readers to find. Here’s how you can add tags and meta data to your Medium story:
- Add tags: Adding tags to your story can help to categorize your story and make it easier for readers to find. To add tags to your story, go to the “More settings” section when writing your story and add tags under the “Reader Interest” section (they’re called “Topics”).
- Add a title: Your title is the first thing that readers will see when they come across your story, so it’s important to make it descriptive and attention-grabbing. To change the title of your story, tweak it at the top of the story editing page. You can then go to the “More settings” section if you want to change how it will appear in search engine results pages (not on Medium) under the “SEO Title” section.
- Add a meta description: Your meta description provides a brief overview of your story and helps to entice readers to click through and read more if they see your story on search engine results pages (again, not on Medium). To add a meta description to your story, go to the “More settings” section and type your description in the “SEO Description” field.
- Add a custom URL: A custom URL can make it easier for readers to remember the link to your story. To add a custom URL to your story, go to the “More settings” section and type your desired URL in the “Customize Story Link” field under the “Advanced Settings” option at the bottom.
Note: Make sure to click the green ‘Save’ button for each section before you leave this page!
How To Make A Story Free To Read On Medium
If you’re a member of the Medium Partner Program, you can choose to put your story behind the “metered paywall.” It will do this automatically for all your stories, so you’ll need to manually make them free.
You can do this when you click the ‘Publish’ button at the top of the screen or the “Review Schedules Story” button if it’s one you’ve already scheduled to be published. You can then change the option to meter your story behind the Partner Program paywall.
If it’s a story you’ve already published, you need to edit your story and then click the three dots next to the green “Save and publish” button at the top of the screen. Then click “Manage meter setting” and you can change it here.
By making your story free to read, you can reach a wider audience and potentially gain more followers on Medium, but you will lose the opportunity to make money with that particular story (others won’t be affected).
How To Put A Story Behind The Medium Partner Program
The Medium Partner Program is a way for writers to earn money for their stories on Medium. If you’re a member of the Medium Partner Program, your stories will automatically go behind the metered paywall. If you’ve disabled it for a story using the steps above, simply go back into those settings to change it back.
By putting your story behind the Medium Partner Program, you can earn money for your writing on Medium. Note that to participate in the Medium Partner Program, you must be accepted into the program and agree to the terms and conditions.
By following these tips, you can write a great story on Medium that will engage and entertain your readers! If you want to sign up to become a member on Medium, click here.